Thursday, March 29, 2018

Story 231: Phantom Phone Calls



            “Hello?”
            “Yeah, I just got a call from this number?”
            “Just now?”
            “Yeah, about five minutes ago.”
            “That’s strange, I didn’t call anybody.”
            “This isn’t xxx-xxx-xxxx?”
            “It is, but I haven’t called anybody for at least a day.  Sorry if it was a pocket dial.”
            “All right.  Bye.”
            “Weird.  Wait a minute, my phone was turned off five minutes ago!”

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

“Thanks for calling -----, this is -----, how can I help you?”
“Hi, I saw I missed a call from this number, did my order come in?”
“I dunno, lemme check; what’s your number?”
“xxx-xxx-xxxx.”
“Mm-hm… mmm-hmmm… this thing’s sooooo sloooooow… mmmm-hmmm, come on!  Right, here it is: nope.”
“No?”
“Not here yet; maybe by the end of the week.  Or next week.”
“Oh.  Then do you know who there called me, then?”
“Hold on a sec, I’ll ask: HEY!  DID ANYBODY HERE CALL ------ -------?!!!”
“…No!”
“That’s a no.  Maybe someone dialed your number by accident and hung up?  I do that all the time, heh.”
“Maybe.  You’re all very strange there.”
“I know, right?”

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

“Hello?”
“Hi, I have a missed call from this number?”
“OK.”
“…How can I help you?”
“I don’t know, you called me.”
“Actually, you called me and didn’t leave a message.”
“I did no such thing.”
“Your number’s listed right here!”
“Says you.”
“Argh, bye!”
“Have a nice day – oh, they hung up already.”

            *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

            “Yell-oh?”
            “What’s up with calling my phone and not leaving a message?”
            “Who’s this?”
          “Who’s this?!  You call and don’t leave a message, and think I won’t notice?  That’s just rude!”
            “Then so are you, `cause I have no idea who the blazes you are!”
            “Well then, I guess we’re even!
            “Fine with me!  Good-bye!”
            “Hold on, I’m not done yelling at you – ”

            *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

            “Hello?”
            “Hi, I have a missed call from this number?”
            “Oh really?  That’s odd, I’ve been on the phone all day.”
            “Well, I just hit the number listed on my phone to call it back, and it brought me to you.”
            “That’s odd… let me see, my caller ID says your number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.”
            “That’s right.”
          “Let me see my list…. Oh yes, I did call you!  You’re hard to get hold of; I’m calling because we have a fantastic opportunity for a limited time on – hello?”

            *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

            “Hello?”
            “Hi, got another missed call from this number.”
            “Ugh, stop calling me!”
            “Then stop calling me!”
            “Are there solar flares or something going on?  Because I have no idea why your phone keeps thinking mine is calling it.”
            “Who knows; maybe it’s extra-terrestrials, they’re always a good excuse.”

TWO HUNDRED MILES ABOVE THE EARTH

            “They’ve caught on!  Abort ‘Operation: Drive Them Mad!’”

2 comments:

  1. Eek! we have been hacked by aliens. Good story, we have all been there; darn robo-calls.

    ReplyDelete