Thursday, July 26, 2018

Story 248: Stress Reading


            “So, now that he’s transferred to Corporate, you’re going to have to do his work on top of your own.  In the same number of hours each day, with no overtime.  And no pay raise.”
            “…OK.”
            “But only until they hire somebody to replace him.  Which could take a few months.  Or a few years – need to find the right person, right?”
            “Right.”
          “`Course they could always decide you’re doing such a good job with both positions that there’s no point in hiring someone else.  Saves them money, and all that.  It’s happened in other departments, you know.”
            “I know.”
            “Welp, that’s about it.  Let me know if you need anything!”
            “[Whimper]”
            The stairs descended into the depths of the subterranean cavern – darkness enveloped her, leaving her defenseless against whatever horrors lay in wait below.  Her hearing then kicked into overdrive, and she realized: something enormous, breathing, was THERE….
            “You still have a few years to pay off your loans, but I wanted to let you know that interest rates went up again.”
            “Did they?”
            “Yeah, so your monthly payments also went up by…$300.  Guess no summer vacation again this year, huh?”
            “Guess not.”
         He leaned closer to the screen to read the headline: “SMITH FAMILY JEWELS STOLEN!”  He scanned through the article twice to make sure the family described was the same family he had just finished drawing up wills for, then wheeled himself to the file cabinet to find the documents that he knew would reveal – the Smith Family had affirmed there were no family jewels!
            “We found out his cancer’s back, and it’s not looking good.”
            “Oh no, that’s terrible!”
           “Yeah, and insurance can’t cover that much, so we’re probably soon going to lose both him and our life savings.  And they wonder why people lose their faith.”
            “I know.  I wish I could do something to help.”
            “It’s OK.  So, how’ve you been lately?”
            “…Fine.”
            “We meet at last, nemesis.”
            “Quite.  I have been looking forward to defeating you for a long time, my foe.”
            “Once I have destroyed you, the world will be mine!”
            “Not so fast!  Once I have destroyed you, the world will be mine!”
            “Wait a minute, I thought you were the good guy?”
            “Blazes no, I’m the villain.”
            “But I’m the villain!”
            “So where’s the good guy?”
            “I’m not gonna keep doing this if there’s no good guy!”
            “I know, right?  There’s really no point then.”
            “You’ve been reading a lot lately – did you go back to school or something?”
            “No, it just helps me relax.  I’ve had a lot of stress.”
            “Oh.  Why not watch some TV?  Helps me zone right out.”
            “Personal preference.”
            “`K.  Is it really helping with the stress?”
           “Surprisingly, yes.  My own problems seem small when the fate of the fictional world is at stake.”
            No matter who tries to stop me, no matter how many say it cannot be done, I will not rest in the quest to be the best Prime Minister this country has ever had!
            “You just did it again, didn’t you?”
            “Can’t help it now: it’s no longer a luxury, it’s a need.”

2 comments:

  1. OMG that was a hoot. I handle my stress by reading your blog. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Glad to be of service :-). - Jen

    ReplyDelete