Thursday, November 2, 2017

Story 210: Oblivia Starring In: One More Halloween Story


            It was a dark and stormy night on the television as Oblivia tried to get caught up in the thrills and chills of the scary movie she was watching:
           Careful as we go down this incredibly long and dark hallway – Creepy Ghost Killer could jump out all over us at any moment.
            Right, but I forget, is he “Creepy Ghost Killer” because he was a killer even before he was a ghost, or because he became a ghost and then started the killing, or because he kills our “geist,” which can mean “ghost” but also can mean “spirit of” –
            Creepy-Ghost-Killler-away! [Squish!  Splat!]
            Guess… all that… is academic… now… bluuuurggghhh….
           Hm – Oblivia thought to herself – why are all horror movies either gross or bland to me?  Why can’t I find one that actually feels SPOOKY?
            She stuck it out to the gruesome and unresolved finale, then shut off the TV with a sigh.  Yet another Halloween, unscared.
            She trudged to the bedroom in her bunny slippers and went to sleep, sneaking in a piece of candy so the evening would not go completely unmarked….
          Walking down a leaf-strewn road under a grey sky – I don’t know where I’m going or where I came from.
        The wind gently blows open the door to an empty barn.
        No birds are singing.
        Something is following me.
        Something is waiting for me.
        Something is in the woods – I can feel its eyes watching.
        I keep walking because I don’t know what else to do.
        The sky darkens and I feel so alone.
        A figure reaches out towards me: it is my own Mortality.
        I cannot escape, but I run.
        I am caught by the Inevitability of Time!
            Oblivia awoke to her alarm clock buzzing.  She now had to go to her unfulfilling job: between that and the dream, she could not decide which was more existentially depressing.
            Happy Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment