Friday, September 4, 2015

Story 98: Friend Request From a Stranger



            “Hmmm….”
            “What’s up?”
            “I have a Friend Request sitting here, and I have absolutely no idea who this person is.”
            “Maybe you have a stalker.”
           “That’s not funny.  Let’s see, we have some of the same friends, we’re originally from the same town, and we went to the same high school.  Ooh, look, his birthday’s around mine.”
            “And yet you have no idea who he is.”
            “None whatsoever.  Maybe he only thinks that he knows me?”
           “But you have all those things in common, so you had to have known each other at some point.  You probably just forgot him.”
            “I remember everything!”
            “All right – what unfunny joke did I just make a minute ago?”
            “…That’s not the point!  The point is, I need to know who is this stalker!”
            “Uh-huh.  Try finding him elsewhere online, then.”
            “Good idea.”  Does a few name checks.  “Nothing!  I don’t like it that someone out there knows more about me than I know about him!”
            “Fine, then just ask him who he is.”
            “I have to accept the Request in order to do that!”
            “Then do so – it’s not a marriage, you can undo it much more cheaply.”
            “Oh all right.  Here goes: Accept, Message, ‘Hi, who are you?’.  Now what?”
            “Wait and see what he writes back.”
            “I hope he writes back soon: this is going to bother me until he does.”

SIX MONTHS LATER

            “I have a message!”
            “Ooh, how exciting!  Who from?”
            “Let’s see.  Huh, I don’t recognize the name, but apparently we’re friends.  Internet Friends, that is; not the real kind.”
            “What’s he say?”
            “He says, ‘Hi, sorry to take so long to respond to your message – I don’t check this thing much and I must’ve sent out the Friend Request about a year ago.’  Sounds about right.  ‘This is George ----- from 10th grade English class, P.S. 679.  Go Gorillas!’  What an odd thing to say.”
            “So, mystery solved: you were in the same class together.  Now you two can reminisce about how everything was so much better back then.”
            “Yeah, but going on six decades after the fact, what’s the point?”

3 comments:

  1. Half the people you friend on Facebook, are unknown. Funny take on the situation. A suggestion for next "story"--young child's first soccer game. Just went to one; very funny and sweet at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half the people you friend on Facebook, are unknown. Funny take on the situation. A suggestion for next "story"--young child's first soccer game. Just went to one; very funny and sweet at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I could see Jennie writing about her nephew's first soccer experience!

    ReplyDelete