Thursday, June 26, 2014

Story 38: The Adventures of Archibald Dalrymple, World Traveler



30 November 2013

Dear Journal,

I am absolutely thrilled to have finally booked my cruise `round the world with my dear friend, Evelyn Pike-Smith.  We sail out of Dover and will conclude our journey in Dover, with stops across the globe along the way.  The point is, I will have sailed the seven seas and at last taste the freedom akin to that tasted by pirates of yore.  Plus, I have arranged some cost-saving measures, of which I feel Evelyn should heartily approve, considering that the expense of this expedition is simply ghastly.

7 July 2014

Dear Journal,

Dear Evelyn is laid up with lumbago and has issued her regrets in not being able to join me in our quest for world exploration.  She had trip insurance, so this is no real financial loss for her.  As for me – well, as I am not getting any younger and could be dead tomorrow, I am proceeding with this endeavor sans bosom friend.  She can gaze upon the photos I will be posting for public consumption and go on her own cruise at her leisure.

9 July 2014

Dear Journal,

I’m off!  The ship embarked in all its petrol-dumping, smoke-spewing glory this afternoon, and I already feel a changed man.  The cares of the world slip away when you no longer need worry about accommodations, meal preparations, or going to the office every day.  The crew is efficient, and the cruise staff have a busy schedule of entertainment to leave us all exhausted by the time we reach our first port.  All in all, life could not be improved by much.

13 June 2015

Dear Journal,

My apologies for not corresponding in a more timely fashion.  Relaxation has been quite time-consuming, plus my cost-saving measures as mentioned previously in these accounts have occupied much of my days.  Of course, I refer to my extremely reasonable prices for this all-inclusive cruise in exchange for doing my own housekeeping in my cabin.  I also negotiated a waiver of gratuities by hoovering my entire level, both sides of the ship, every other day, which has been quite invigorating.  I received a further reduction in my fare that would have covered my use of the pools and hot tubs by swabbing the decks once a week – I truly am a pirate now, matey, arrr!  I also was invited to dine with the Captain at his table once a week due to my special status as honorary crew member, but after the eighth meal with him I could see the effort in entertaining his passengers after a long day on the bridge was taking its toll.  I then offered to take the night’s watch a few times a week, and in turn received yet another reduction in fare that would have covered my use of the telly (which is fortunate, because I love the telly).
All in all, by the time we returned to Mother England I had seen more of the ship than the world we were sailing, but isn’t that the price of freedom?  Plus, I received an invitation to the cruise line’s training camp for their staff, which I am seriously considering as a second career.  As they say in the business, this was definitely a Bon Voyage!

3 comments:

  1. This quite an interesting departure and rather enjoyable. I hope more adventures follow as he is entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The story literally came in a dream, and he seemed to be perfect for it - I was thinking about continuing on with him, so thanks for the affirming that!

    ReplyDelete